Friday, February 4, 2011

Finding Love With An Acupuncturist

Last night I had a dream about falling in love with a gorgeous, charming acupuncturist who swept me right off my feet.  Why on earth I was going to see an acupuncturist I have no idea, because although I am curious about and believe in the possible benefits of acupuncture I have never taken part in the practice.  It just looks and sounds too…creepy.  I have heard repeatedly that you barely feel the needles, but I have never volunteered to have a needle jabbed into my skin and find it difficult to imagine ever doing so.

Upon waking up from this dream I felt certain God was trying to tell me something.  I just wasn’t sure what…and I am still not certain, but after pondering it for awhile I got to thinking how many things in my life I understand could result in a positive outcome but I am just unwilling to take the risk of taking part.

I’m not and never have been a risk taker.  I live in a family of non-risk takers.  Since birth the messages came through loud and clear that choices should be made wisely.  For example, I grew up wanting very much to be a first-grade school teacher.  I loved each and every one of my elementary school teachers and can still name and tell you stories about each one.  Now, one would think that my family, which greatly values education, would be thrilled and even cheering about my chosen career path…but alas that was not the case.  For my family was convinced I would be forever struggling financially if I became a school teacher.  For my benefit, they “encouraged” me frequently over the years to select a different profession.  This was quite frustrating for me, for it was also communicated that I could do anything I set my mind to.  “Do you want to be an astronaut?  Then go for it!  There is nothing that can hold you back if you put your mind to it!”  Well I wanted to be a teacher, but the messages from my family had held me back, and by the time I got to college they had successfully changed my mind and I majored in social work…without consulting my family about it.  Now you don’t need to explain to me that social workers don’t make any more money than teachers do, because I did finally come to that realization.  And I didn’t actually get my MSW, for a number of reasons.  But what I had learned in the school of life is to play it safe.  Make choices that will ensure an easier, more secure, more predictable future.  And, for the most part, that is how I operate even to this day.

I will acknowledge there have been times when my “play it safe” nature has really saved my tush.  (Just ask Donna, one of my best friend since high school, about “the night that could have changed our lives” as we refer to it.  Yes, there were boys involved.)  But I have missed out on so much more because of my fear of taking risks. Which is why I adopted the word “Courage” as my motto for 2011.  And maybe…just maybe, that dream about finding love with an acupuncturist was a reminder that taking chances will open up my world and bring unknown blessings.

Hugs and Smooches,
Lisa Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews